Android Auto, Google’s good driving companion software program, is a useful device for drivers. It means that you can pair your telephone to your automotive’s infotainment display and keep related whereas on the highway, all with a well-known, easy-to-navigate interface. Whereas most autos that provide Android Auto require a tethered USB connection between the automotive and telephone, some newer fashions supply a wi-fi different to entry the interface.
Initially restricted to luxurious autos and high trim ranges, wi-fi Android Auto is starting to indicate up as a typical function with many carmakers. It’s additionally present in some autos that launched with out it through a software program replace. Plus, a number of equipment add wi-fi performance to some wired Android Auto-compatible setups.
What’s wi-fi Android Auto, and the way does it work?
Wi-fi Android Auto connects your telephone to your automotive’s head unit through Wi-Fi. When you full the preliminary setup, Android Auto robotically connects your telephone to your automobile’s infotainment display every time you get into your automobile.
Like customary Android Auto, wi-fi Android Auto overrides your automotive’s native infotainment system and lets your telephone do the heavy lifting. It requires a suitable head unit and in-vehicle Wi-Fi. Bluetooth can not transmit sufficient knowledge to help wi-fi Android Auto.
Your automobile’s touchscreen show seems so much like your telephone when Android Auto is related. Appropriate apps out of your smartphone present up as giant icons in your automotive’s display. From right here, you’ll be able to play music or podcasts, use Google Assistant, and see turn-by-turn instructions. Many apps are suitable with Android Auto, together with Audible, Spotify, Waze, and WhatsApp.
We’ve been anticipating comparatively main overhauls to Android Auto since Could 2022, however regardless of guarantees that the redesign would land “simply in time for summer time,” these adjustments haven’t materialized. Nonetheless, a extra multitasking-friendly and customizable interface needs to be arriving quickly.
Which automobiles are suitable with wi-fi Android Auto?
Regardless of the huge advantages of wi-fi Android Auto, Google hasn’t made a lot of a hubbub in regards to the function and the automobiles that help it. Google’s compatibility listing doesn’t seem to have been up to date for a while, because it solely reveals that 2019 and newer BMW fashions help the function.
To that finish, we put collectively our personal wi-fi Android Auto compatibility listing, which you will discover on this web page. It isn’t a complete listing, nevertheless it consists of fashions we’ve come throughout the place the producer has confirmed help.
Wi-fi Android Auto will not be included in each leisure bundle or trim degree for each automobile listed. When doubtful, perform a little additional analysis.
Our wi-fi Android Auto listing is a piece in progress, and we are going to replace it as we discover extra suitable autos.
What if my automotive isn’t suitable?
Even when your automotive wasn’t initially kitted out with wi-fi Android Auto, there are nonetheless choices to go untethered.
In case your automotive is a post-2018 with built-in Wi-Fi however solely runs common Android Auto through USB, all won’t be misplaced. A number of producers, most notably BMW, have granted wi-fi Android Auto performance to older autos through over-the-air updates. If that’s not an choice, and also you need to retrofit the function to your trip, now we have excellent news: There are comparatively low cost dongles available on the market that can help you join wirelessly.
Following its crowdfunding success, the AAWireless is now accessible by means of Amazon. Motorola’s well-reviewed MA1 USB adapter can also be a preferred retrofit choice, although it’s in excessive demand, contemplating it’s continuously out of inventory.
Lastly, for these courageous souls that fancy happening the MacGyver route, a hack methodology utilizing an Android TV stick exists, permitting older Android Auto heads to go wi-fi. Simply remember that Google doesn’t help this feature.
Android Police’s unofficial wi-fi Android Auto compatibility listing
(Up to date March 2023)
- 2023: MDX, RDX, Integra
- 2022: MDX, RDX
- 2023: A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, E-Tron, E-Tron GT, Q3, Q5, Q7, Q8
- 2022: A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, E-Tron, E-Tron GT, Q3, Q5, Q7, Q8
- 2023: 1 Sequence, 2 Sequence, 3 Sequence, 4 Sequence, 5 Sequence, 7 Sequence, 8 Sequence, iX, i4, M3, M4, M5, M8, X3, X4, X5, X6, X7, Z4
- 2022: 1 Sequence, 2 Sequence, 3 Sequence, 4 Sequence, 5 Sequence, 7 Sequence, 8 Sequence, iX, i4, X3, X4, X5, X6, X7, Z4
- 2021: 1 Sequence, 4 Sequence
- 2020: 1 Sequence, 2 Sequence, 5 Sequence, 6 Sequence, 7 Sequence, XE, X4, X6
- 2019: 3 Sequence, 8 Sequence, X5, X7, Z4
- 2023: Enclave, Encore GX, Envision
- 2022: Enclave, Encore GX, Envision
- 2023: CT4, CT5, Escalade, Escalade ESV, XT4, XT5, XT6
- 2022: CT4, CT5, Escalade, Escalade ESV, XT4, XT5, XT6
- 2023: Blazer, Bolt EV, Bolt EUV, Camaro, Corvette, Equinox, Malibu, Silverado 1500, Silverado 1500 LTD, Silverado 2500/3500, Suburban/Tahoe, Trailblazer, Traverse
- 2022: Blazer, Bolt EV, Bolt EUV, Camaro, Corvette, Equinox, Malibu, Silverado 1500, Silverado 1500 LTD, Silverado 2500/3500, Suburban/Tahoe, Trailblazer, Traverse
- 2023: Pacifica
- 2022: Pacifica
- 2023: Durango, Hornet
- 2022: Durango
- 2021: Durango
- 2023: Bronco, Edge, E-Transit, Expedition/Expedition Max, F-150, F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-E
- 2022: Bronco, Edge, E-Transit, Expedition/Expedition Max, F-150, F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-E
- 2023: Acadia, Canyon, Hummer EV, Sierra 1500, Sierra 1500 LTD, Terrain, Yukon/Yukon XL
- 2022: Acadia, Hummer EV, Sierra 1500, Sierra 1500 LTD, Terrain, Yukon/Yukon XL
- 2023: Accord, Civic
- 2022: Accord, Civic
- 2023: Accent, Elantra, Kona, Kona EV, Palisade, Santa Cruz, Santa Fe, Sonata, Tucson, Venue
- 2022: Accent, Elantra, Kona, Kona EV, Palisade, Santa Cruz, Santa Fe, Sonata, Tucson, Venue
- 2023: Compass, Grand Cherokee, Grand Cherokee L, Wagoneer, Grand Wagoneer
- 2022: Compass, Grand Cherokee, Grand Cherokee L, Wagoneer, Grand Wagoneer
- 2023: Carnival, EV6, Forte, K5, Niro, Rio, Seltos, Sorento, Soul, Sportage, Stinger, Telluride
- 2022: Carnival, Forte, K5, Niro, Rio, Sorento
- 2021: K5, Sorento, Seltos
- 2023: Navigator, Nautilus
- 2022: Navigator, Nautilus
- 2023: Ghibli, GranTurismo, Levante, MC20, Quattroporte
- 2022: Ghibli, Levante, MC20, Quattroporte
- 2023: C-Class, EQE, EQS, GLC
- 2022: EQS, S Class Saloon
- 2021: EQS
- 2023: 911, Cayenne, Panamera, Taycan
- 2022: 911, Cayenne, Panamera, Taycan
- 2023: 1500, 2500/3500, ProMaster
- 2022: 1500, 2500/3500, ProMaster
- 2023: Vary Rover, Vary Rover Sport, Discovery, Defender
- 2022: Vary Rover, Vary Rover Sport, Discovery, Defender
- 2023: Legacy, Outback, Solterra
- 2023: Corolla Hatchback, Crown, Highlander, Tundra, Venza Hybrid
- 2022: Tundra
- 2023: Arteon, Atlas/Atlas Cross Sport, Golf GTI/Golf R, ID.4, Jetta, Taos, Tiguan
- 2022: Arteon, Atlas/Atlas Cross Sport, Golf GTI/Golf R, ID.4, Jetta, Taos, Tiguan
- 2021: Arteon, Atlas/Atlas Cross Sport, Golf GTI/Golf R, ID.4, Jetta, Taos, Tiguan
Extra on Android Auto
Coming from a typical wired setup, wi-fi Android Auto is a big get, streamlining the expertise of utilizing your telephone to energy your automotive’s infotainment system. Nonetheless, Android Auto isn’t good. There are many issues we don’t like about it (why can’t we report accidents from the Android Auto model of Maps?). For extra on how the Android Auto expertise stacks up in opposition to the competitors, try our comparability of Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.